Author/s: Judy K Montgomery
Publication year: 2007
Age Range: Preschool to 21 years
Addressing the need for research-based vocabulary intervention
The Bridge of Vocabulary offers the only explicit vocabulary intervention program tied to evidence-based research and curriculum standards and developed for both general and special educators.
This highly relevant resource directly links specific vocabulary intervention with a research-based strategy and presents a systematic, intensive approach to help you foster vocabulary and language growth. Written for multiple professional disciplines, The Bridge of Vocabulary facilitates collaboration among SLPs,classroom teachers, reading teachers, and other education professionals.
The Bridge of Vocabulary is designed to supply educators with the resources they need to create linguistic environments that will allow all students to succeed as listeners, speakers, readers, and writers.
The program can be used with:
- ELL students
- Students with language and learning disabilities
- Students with complex communication disabilities
- Typical elementary and secondary students, including low and high achievers
This easy-to-use tool employs strategies grounded in solid research, such as activities that:
- Help specialists, teachers, and parents systematically plan explicit word encounters
- Encourage fast mapping
- Provide slow mappers with extended exposure to vocabulary
- Demonstrate phonotactic probability and neighborhood density, two important factors in vocabulary growth
- Incorporate student-friendly definitions that use spoken vocabulary words instead of reading vocabulary words
The book and CD offer over 100 activities, guided practice, independent practice, word cards, and pictures cards.
The Bridge of Vocabulary: Evidence-Based Activities for Academic Success