Randy W. Kamphaus, PhD, Cecil R. Reynolds, PhD
Screening system for measuring behavioral and emotional strengths and weaknesses
ASSIST™ software or Manual Scoring
Student Form — 2nd grade; Parent Form — 6th grade
RTI Level 1
T scores, percentiles
Brief, universal screening system for measuring behavioral and emotional strengths and weaknesses in children and adolescents.
Assessing the behavioral and emotional functioning of children and adolescents can be an effective tool in promoting student success. Academic problems, along with problems associated with developing and maintaining positive relationships with others, can be the result of underlying behavioral and emotional deficits that, when caught early, can be corrected before negatively affecting a child or adolescent.
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System offers a reliable, quick, and systematic way to determine behavioral and emotional strengths and weaknesses of children and adolescents in preschool through high school. This comprehensive screening system consists of brief forms that can be completed by teachers, parents, or students, providing one of the most comprehensive and efficient tools available today.
Using this tool
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System is designed for use by schools, mental health clinics, pediatric clinics, communities, and researchers to screen for a variety of behavioral and emotional disorders that can lead to adjustment problems.
The system includes three forms, which can be used individually or in any combination:
- Teacher form with two levels: Preschool (for ages 3 through 5) and Child/Adolescent (for Grades K through 12)
- Student self-report form with one level: Child/Adolescent (for Grades 3 through 12)
- Parent form with two levels: Preschool (for ages 3 through 5) and Child/Adolescent (for Grades K through 12)
Each form ranges from 25 to 30 items, requires no formal training for the raters, and is easy to complete, taking only 5-10 minutes of administration time. Parents or students who have difficulty reading may complete the forms by listening to audio recordings on compact disc.
Features and Benefits
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System offers a number of valuable features, including:
- Assessment of a wide array of behaviors that represent both behavioral problems and strengths, including internalizing problems, externalizing problems, school problems, and adaptive skills.
- Forms that can be completed in approximately five minutes or less, without the need for specialized training.
- Spanish-language versions of the parent and student self-report forms.
- A single Total Score on the report that is a reliable and accurate predictor of a broad range of behavioral, emotional and academic problems
- Validity indexes that identify responses that may be overly negative or inconsistent.
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System has been normed on a representative sample that closely matches recent U.S. Census population characteristics. T scores and percentiles are available for the general population.
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System may be computer-scored (hand-key entry or scan entry) using ASSIST™ software or hand-scored, enabling use in a variety of settings.
- Powerful software provides both individual- and group-level reporting options.
- Scoring services are available to generate group-level, aggregate reports that may be helpful for tracking progress over several years’ time.
- Cut scores are customizable based on a desired T score or number of children in a specific outcome category.
BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System ASSIST™ Software
The BASC–2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System ASSIST software provides a number of different options for presenting results from the Teacher, Parent, and Student Forms. Reports are offered for individuals and groups. For an Individual report, up to three forms (e.g., teacher, parent, and student) and three administrations can be selected for inclusion. With Group reports, an important feature of the ASSIST software is its ability to define multiple groups within a location and generate summary reports for each of the levels within a group (e.g. classroom, district, region). In addition, a roster listing students and their scores can be generated for any of the group variables that have been defined. Available for Windows and Macintosh.
Download the following sample reports:
BESS (Behavior and Emotional Screening System), part of the BASC™-2 family
This pre-recorded 20-30 minute session allows you to learn at your leisure. All you need is access to the Internet and the sound enabled on your computer. Please keep in mind that the session may take a few minutes to load.
Learn about using the quick classroom screener for behavioral and emotional issues.
Attend a session