Barbara Dodd, Zhu Hua, Sharon Crosbie, Alison Holm, Anne OzanneOverview:
Evaluates both articulation and phonological process using a Diagnostic Screen, a diagnostic Articulation Assessment, a diagnostic Phonology Assessment (with a phonological analysis), and an Oral Motor ScreenAge Range:
3.0 to 8.11 yearsRTI Tiers:
RTI Levels 1, 2 and 3Completion Time:
Diagnostic Screen 5 minutes; Articulation assessment 10-15 minutes; Phonology assessment 10-15 minutes; Oral Motor Screen 5 minutesNorms:
n= 650 with a sample based on the current U.S. populationScores/Interpretation:
Standard scores and percentile ranks for Sounds in Words, Phonological Process Use, and Single Words vs. Connected Speech Agreement CriterionPublication Date:
The Diagnostic Evaluation of Articulation and Phonology (DEAP) is a comprehensive standardized assessment that evaluates both articulation and phonological processes. The DEAP includes a Diagnostic Screen, a diagnostic Articulation Assessment, a diagnostic Phonology Assessment (with a phonological analysis), and an Oral Motor Screen. Use it in conjunction with CELF-4, PLS-4, or another comprehensive language test to obtain a complete understanding of a child’s speech and language ability.
Diagnostic Screen – In Just 5 Minutes!
- Appropriate for general screening of speech disorders and for initial referrals
- Use screening results to customize the DEAP assessment process
- Obtain a Differential Diagnosis of articulation disorders and disorders of phonological processes–2 Tests in one!
- Discriminates children with typically developing speech from children who have delay/disorder and directs the clinician to use the relevant assessment(s) for assessing the child’s speech system
- Examine oral motor function by administering the Oral Motor Screen.
DEAP Provides You with More Assessment Options
- DEAP provides stimulability opportunities in isolation and CV or VC syllables for sounds in error
- The Phonology Assessment provides information about error patterns and differences between single word and continuous speech production
- Develop appropriate therapy plans based on the child’s performance on DEAP
- Gain a more comprehensive understanding of the child’s needs through the provided validity studies, which address developmental patterns for children with articulation, phonological, or oral motor disorders
- Quick Articulation and Phonology Screening
- Colorful and Engaging Pictures
- Speech sounds are sampled at least twice to ensure that you have a thorough picture of the child’s sound system
- Articulation Assessment samples all English sounds including vowels
- Oral Motor Screen provides a brief assessment of sequencing and accurate and fluent production of speech
Attractive, colorful pictures to elicit target sounds and phonological processes
DEAP Technical Report (PDF – 216 KB)