Carol Mardell, PhD, Dorothea S. Goldenberg, EdD
A global screener for assessing large groups of children quickly and efficiently
In addition to regular manual scoring, online scoring and reporting for the Speed DIAL-4 is available through Q-global™.
Speed DIAL-4 provides standard deviation and percentile cutoff points by chronological age at two-month intervals for total and area scores--Motor, Concepts, and Language. Percentile ranks and standard scores are also provided.
Save time with Speed DIAL-4, an abbreviated version of the full DIAL-4 test. The Speed DIAL-4 consists of 10 core items selected from the Motor, Concepts, and Language domains. This abbreviated version can be administered by one operator and takes about 20 minutes to complete.
Users & Applications
Speed DIAL-4 is used by:
- Preschool and kindergarten teachers
- Early childhood specialists
- Child development center personnel
- Head Start program
- Program administrators
Content & Administration
You administer the tool by presenting stimuli one at a time using a dial, manipulatives, and other materials. Speed DIAL-4 addresses the following domains:
- Motor area: Gross Motor items include catching, jumping, hopping, and skipping. Fine Motor items include building with blocks, cutting, copying shapes and letters, and writing, and a popular fingertouching task.
- Language area: Items include answering simple personal questions (name, age, and sex), articulation, naming (expressive) or identifying (receptive) objects and actions, plus phonemic awareness tasks such as rhyming and “I Spy.”
- Concepts area: Items include pointing to named body parts, naming or identifying colors, rote counting, counting blocks, identifying concepts in a triad of pictures, and sorting shapes. Includes an item that assesses automatic naming of objects, a skill that is associated with potential learning disabilities.
Features & Benefits
- New norms to support updated edition
- Lowered floor from 3:0 to 2:6
- New items to measure skills important for predicting academic success
- Reformatted Handbooks and Record Form for easier administration and scoring
- Simplified administration instructions and scoring rules to reduce errors
- Teacher Questionnaire allowing for information from multiple sources
- Parent/Caregiver Questionnaire for assessing self-help skills and social-emotional behaviors
Speed DIAL-4 Kit Contents
- Speed DIAL-4 Record Forms – English (50)
- Speed DIAL-4 Record Form – Spanish (1)
- Speed DIAL-4 Operator’s Handbook
- DIAL-4 Examiners Manual
- Articulation DIAL –English
- Articulations DIAL–Spanish
- Objects and Actions DIAL
- Copying DIAL
- I Spy Picture
- Alphabet Soup Card
- Rapid Object Naming Card
- 12 Colored Blocks
- Blue carry bag