Author/s: Douglas M Dunn, Lloyd M Dunn
Publication year: 2007
Age Range: 2 years 6 months to 90 years and older
Administration: Individual – 10 to 15 minutes
Scores/ Interpretation: Age- and grade-based standard scores (M = 100, SD = 15), percentiles, normal curve equivalents (NCEs), stanines, age and grade equivalents, and Growth Scale Value (GSV)
Scoring options: Q-global™ Scoring & Reporting and Manual Scoring
Measure receptive vocabulary
The PPVT-4 test offers many enhancements to a vocabulary assessment that has been well respected for 50 years. This latest edition has been co-normed with the Expressive Vocabulary Test, Second Edition (EVT™-2), allowing you to make direct comparisons between receptive and expressive vocabulary performance. Quick and easy to administer, the PPVT-4 saves you valuable time—so that you can focus on implementing successful interventions.
Ideal for progress monitoring!
Unlike some other measures of vocabulary, the PPVT-4 supplies two equivalent forms of the test which contain different vocabulary items—helping ensure the individual has not “learned” the test. One form can be used prior to intervention to assess individuals’ vocabulary knowledge and the alternative form can be used for re-testing to evaluate and document progress. PPVT-4 also includes a unique Growth Scale Value (GSV) which is sensitive to small changes over time.
Users & Applications
The PPVT-4 test is individually administered and norm-referenced. Use it to:
- Quickly evaluate receptive vocabulary with a test that requires no reading or writing
- Monitor progress using two parallel forms
- Directly compare receptive and expressive vocabulary when you also administer the EVT-2
- Move immediately into evidence-based interventions using those embedded directly into and linked into the scoring and reporting software
- Meet guidelines for universal screening, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and diagnostic testing in an RTI environment
Features & Benefits
- New! Digital Stimulus Book – display visual stimuli on your desktop or laptop. Hotlinks and icons take you to the section of the test you want to administer. Order now
- More stimulus words (now 228 per form), with better representation of word types across all levels of difficulty
- All items evaluated for appropriateness with a diverse population
- Strengthened test floor
- Illustrations now in full color
- Modernized core vocabulary
- Identical administration and scoring procedures to PPVT-III
- New Growth Scale Value (GSV) for measuring incremental vocabulary growth over time
- Multiple levels of diagnostic analysis
- Ease of use—with the ability to administer items by complete sets of 12
- Newly designed carrying case
PPVT-4 Sample Training Item
Developed over a five-year period, the PPVT-4 test was standardized on a national sample of individuals ages 2:6–90+. More than 5,500 individuals were tested; data from approximately 3,500 subjects was used for the normative scores. The sample matches the U.S. Census for gender, ace/ethnicity, region, socioeconomic status (SES), and clinical diagnosis or special education placement.
The PPVT-4 test provides extremely reliable scores, with all reliability and validity coefficients in the .90s range.
Enhanced scoring and reporting software offers fast, flexible, and accurate scoring & reporting, with:
- Ability to enter by item or by total raw score
- Easier data entry for unlimited numbers of students
- Multiple individual and group report options
- Embedded evidence-based interventions for individual, small group, or classroom use
- Availability for Windows® and Macintosh®
- Score Summary includes the individual’s current scores, a narrative report, and a separate Suggested Interventions Report.
- Diagnostic Analysis presents item-level performance classified by part of speech.
- Progress Report tracks repeat administrations and helps you monitor an individual’s improvement over time using the new Growth Scale Value (GSV).
- Score Summary includes a list of individuals’ scores, the group’s average scores, and narrative text.
- Diagnostic Analysis includes a Suggested Interventions Report that presents interventions tied to the group’s item and category-level performance.
- Single-Group Progress Report and Multiple-Groups Progress Report allow you to compare results over time for institutions, grades, or ages; focus on subsets of students or special groups of examinees, such as English Language Learners (ELL); and tailor reports to meet building, institution, or federal reporting requirements.
Q-global™ Web-based Administration, Scoring, and Reporting – Enables you to quickly assess and efficiently organize examinee information, generate scores, and produce accurate comprehensive reports all via the Web.
Manual Scoring – Allows you to administer and score assessments by hand
PPVT-4 Technical Specifications
PPVT-4 EVT-2 Testing Options
PPVT-4 Technical Report
PPVT-4 (Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test, Fourth Edition) Introduction
Learn about this measure of receptive vocabulary for Standard American English by viewing this short presentation.
Frequently asked questions follow.
How do I know which PPVT-4 and/or EVT-2 digital option is best for me?
Start with thinking about the technology you have available to you and the technology that you would be most likely to use with your population of students/clients. Then, look down the decision tree (see the “PPVT-4 EVT-2 Testing Options” document under Resources) for your options on the different platforms. For telepractice, you should choose the Q-global system options on the left side of the tree (see more information below regarding telepractice).
What are the pricing options for each digital solution?
Please refer to the individual product page (PPVT-4 or EVT-2) on our website for detailed information on all your options.
Can I save my report off Q-global?
Yes, you can save your report as a pdf where you are able to cut and paste text into your own larger report.
Does Q-interactive score and report?
Q-interactive offers basic scoring results that are generated directly and immediately from the administration you just completed within the Assess application. When the assessment results are uploaded to Q-central, examiners will be able to view detailed scoring results, individual item responses and all item analyses. Q Interactive does not generate a narrative/summative report.
What if I would like to use PPVT-4 or EVT-2 via telepractice?
The best digital option for you is Q-global. However, you also need to be mindful of your ability to meet all the legal, ethical, and technical considerations that are required for use of assessments via telepractice. For additional guidance, visit Pearson’s legal page, www.pearsonclinical.in, or the individual product pages for the assessments you wish to use via telepractice. For consultation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where can I go for security and compliance information?
Can I “try before I buy?”
Yes, many of our newly-adapted assessments in digital formats have trial offers. Visit the respective product page on our website to learn about specific options for each test or www.helloq.com for additional information.
Do I need to be online (wired or Wi-Fi) for the Q-global Resource Library tools?
Yes. Q-global is an online platform. You will need internet access to view and use the administration, scoring, or reporting options on Q-global.
Can I share manuals and stimulus books on Q-global?
Yes. The account owner on Q-global may purchase one or more copies of any digital stimulus book or digital manual and “assign” these assets to the appropriate users or sub-accounts. The assignments to different members of that account (e.g., in a district or team of professionals) can be changed at any time. So, if you buy 10 PPVT-4 digital manuals for 15 professionals on your team, you may “re-assign” any copy of any manual from one professional to another at any time.
What is the difference between the PPVT-4/EVT-2 ASSIST and scoring and reporting on Q-global?
In terms of the scoring and the types of individual report options, not much. In terms of how the technology works, the ASSIST was CD-ROM based and was tied to a single desktop computer or laptop that had a CD-ROM drive. The Q-global system is web-based and open to any login point from any location or device, any time.
Can I prepay for a quantity of Q-global reports, digital stimulus books, or digital manuals with one purchase order (PO)?
Yes. For PPVT-4, EVT-2, and CELF-5 scoring and reporting, there are volume discounts associated with score reports. You may “stock up and save” depending on the number of scoring/reporting usages that you choose. Digital stimulus books and manuals can also be paid for in bulk. Conversely, you can simply “pay as you go” for any of the digital options shown with no or very little “up front” cost.
Are progress reports, group score summary reports, or PPVT-4/EVT-2 comparison reports still available? What is the pricing?
Yes. All of these reports are available at no charge, once you purchase the individual score summary for a particular PPVT-4 or EVT-2 administration.
What do I do if someone in our district or organization leaves and they have Q-global test administration data or digital stimulus books/manuals assigned to them?
You can de-activate their Q-global account but have access to the test data they completed. For digital stimulus books and manuals, simply go into the “Inventory” tab under Account Management and “de-allocate” or re-assign the assets (i.e., digital stimulus books and/or manuals) to other account users.
Does the Q-global On-screen Administration and Score Report require me to purchase the Q-global stimulus book?
No. The On-Screen Administration (OSA) is the actual administration of the PPVT-4 on the computer, complete with stimulus art and audio prompts. The examinee sits at the computer and takes the assessment, which then automatically uses the basal and ceiling rules and feeds the examinee responses into Q-global scoring and reporting. No data entry for you!
Form A handscoring kit:
Includes stimulus book, manual, 25 record forms in a bag.
Form B handscoring kit:
Includes stimulus material, manual, 25 record forms in a bag
Form A and B kit: