Author/s: Barbara Dodd, Zhu Hua, Sharon Crosbie, Alison Holm, Anne Ozanne
Publication year: 2006
Age Range: 3 years to 6 years 11 months
Administration: Individual – 5 minute screen plus up to 4 specific assessments
Scores/ Interpretation: Standard scores and percentile ranks for Sounds in Words, Phonological Process Use, and Single Words vs. Connected Speech Agreement Criterion
Detects and differentiates between articulation problems, delayed phonology and consistent versus inconsistent phonological disorder
The Diagnostic Evaluation of Articulation and Phonology (DEAP) is a comprehensive standardized assessment that evaluates both articulation and phonological processes. The DEAP includes a Diagnostic Screen, a diagnostic Articulation Assessment, a diagnostic Phonology Assessment (with a phonological analysis), and an Oral Motor Screen. Use it in conjunction with CELF-4, PLS-4, or another comprehensive language test to obtain a complete understanding of a child’s speech and language ability.
Diagnostic Screen – In Just 5 Minutes!
- Appropriate for general screening of speech disorders and for initial referrals
- Use screening results to customize the DEAP assessment process
- Obtain a Differential Diagnosis of articulation disorders and disorders of phonological processes–2 Tests in one!
- Discriminates children with typically developing speech from children who have delay/disorder and directs the clinician to use the relevant assessment(s) for assessing the child’s speech system
- Examine oral motor function by administering the Oral Motor Screen.
DEAP Provides You with More Assessment Options
- DEAP provides stimulability opportunities in isolation and CV or VC syllables for sounds in error
- The Phonology Assessment provides information about error patterns and differences between single word and continuous speech production
- Develop appropriate therapy plans based on the child’s performance on DEAP
- Gain a more comprehensive understanding of the child’s needs through the provided validity studies, which address developmental patterns for children with articulation, phonological, or oral motor disorders
- Quick Articulation and Phonology Screening
- Colorful and Engaging Pictures
- Speech sounds are sampled at least twice to ensure that you have a thorough picture of the child’s sound system
- Articulation Assessment samples all English sounds including vowels
- Oral Motor Screen provides a brief assessment of sequencing and accurate and fluent production of speech
Attractive, colorful pictures to elicit target sounds and phonological processes
DEAP Technical Report (PDF – 216 KB)
Includes Examiner’s Manual, Stimulus Manual, 25 Diagnostic Screening and Summary Record Forms, 25 Articulation and Oral Motor Record Forms, and 25 Phonology Assessment Record Forms