Lloyd M. Dunn, PhD, Douglas M. Dunn, PhDOverview:
A measure of receptive vocabulary for Standard American EnglishAge Range:
2:6 - 90+YearsScoring Option:
Q-global™ Scoring & Reporting and Manual ScoringRTI Tiers:
RTI Levels 1, 2 and 3Completion Time:
10-15 MinutesScores/Interpretation: Interpretations:
Age- and grade-based standard scores (M = 100, SD = 15), percentiles, normal curve equivalents (NCEs), stanines, age and grade equivalents, and Growth Scale Value (GSV)Telepractice:
Tips on using this test in your telepracticePublication Date:
The PPVT-4 test offers many enhancements to a vocabulary assessment that has been well respected for 50 years. This latest edition has been co-normed with the Expressive Vocabulary Test, Second Edition (EVT™-2), allowing you to make direct comparisons between receptive and expressive vocabulary performance. Quick and easy to administer, the PPVT-4 saves you valuable time—so that you can focus on implementing successful interventions.
Ideal for progress monitoring!
Unlike some other measures of vocabulary, the PPVT-4 supplies two equivalent forms of the test which contain different vocabulary items—helping ensure the individual has not “learned” the test. One form can be used prior to intervention to assess individuals’ vocabulary knowledge and the alternative form can be used for re-testing to evaluate and document progress. PPVT-4 also includes a unique Growth Scale Value (GSV) which is sensitive to small changes over time.
Users & Applications
The PPVT-4 test is individually administered and norm-referenced. Use it to:
- Quickly evaluate receptive vocabulary with a test that requires no reading or writing
- Monitor progress using two parallel forms
- Directly compare receptive and expressive vocabulary when you also administer the EVT-2
- Move immediately into evidence-based interventions using those embedded directly into and linked into the scoring and reporting software
- Meet guidelines for universal screening, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and diagnostic testing in an RTI environment
Features & Benefits
- New! Digital Stimulus Book – display visual stimuli on your desktop or laptop. Hotlinks and icons take you to the section of the test you want to administer. Order now
- More stimulus words (now 228 per form), with better representation of word types across all levels of difficulty
- All items evaluated for appropriateness with a diverse population
- Strengthened test floor
- Illustrations now in full color
- Modernized core vocabulary
- Identical administration and scoring procedures to PPVT-III
- New Growth Scale Value (GSV) for measuring incremental vocabulary growth over time
- Multiple levels of diagnostic analysis
- Ease of use—with the ability to administer items by complete sets of 12
- Newly designed carrying case
PPVT-4 Sample Training Item
Developed over a five-year period, the PPVT-4 test was standardized on a national sample of individuals ages 2:6–90+. More than 5,500 individuals were tested; data from approximately 3,500 subjects was used for the normative scores. The sample matches the U.S. Census for gender, ace/ethnicity, region, socioeconomic status (SES), and clinical diagnosis or special education placement.
The PPVT-4 test provides extremely reliable scores, with all reliability and validity coefficients in the .90s range.
Digital Options Available
Q-interactive is Pearson’s web- and iPad-based system for interactive, seamless assessment, scoring, and reporting. With Q-interactive, administer interactive assessments with an intuitive, portable system that uses two iPads connected by Bluetooth. The examinee views test stimuli on one iPad; you use the other iPad to access test administration directions and verbal stimuli, control visual stimuli, and record and score responses.
Your Q-interactive yearly speech license includes access to five assessments: PPVT-4, CELF-5, GFTA-3, KLPA-3, and GFTA-3 Spanish. You purchase individual test administrations.
Try Q-interactive for free with our 30 day trial. Learn more at HelloQ.com
Q-global is Pearson’s web-based system for accessing digital resources for assessment, scoring, and reporting. PPVT-4 has digital stimulus books and a digital manual available for purchase. In addition, you may administer the PPVT-4 using Q-global’s on-screen administration (OSA) or remote on-screen administration (ROSA) directly on the computer and get immediate scoring and results.
Scoring is purchased separately. You have the option to purchase an unlimited-use 1-, 3-, or 5- year scoring subscription or individual score reports. Quantity discounts are available.
Important note: Each scoring subscription is per user and will begin on the date the first subscription from the order is allocated to the user(s) in the Q-global account.
Soon after you place your order, you will receive an email informing you that your PPVT-4 digital Manual, Stimulus Book, and/or scoring are available on the Q-global platform.
Other Pearson Clinical assessments available on Q-global include EVT-2, CELF-5, CELF-5 Metalinguistics, GFTA-3, KLPA-3, and GFTA-3 Spanish. Learn more about Q-global pricing.
Enhanced scoring and reporting software offers fast, flexible, and accurate scoring & reporting, with:
- Ability to enter by item or by total raw score
- Easier data entry for unlimited numbers of students
- Multiple individual and group report options
- Embedded evidence-based interventions for individual, small group, or classroom use
- Availability for Windows® and Macintosh®
- Score Summary includes the individual’s current scores, a narrative report, a diagnostic analysis of item-level performance, and a separate Suggested Interventions Report.
- Diagnostic Analysis presents item-level performance classified by part of speech.
- Progress Report tracks repeat administrations and helps you monitor an individual’s improvement over time using the new Growth Scale Value (GSV).
- Receptive-Expressive Comparison Report compares the student’s receptive and expressive vocabulary when you are administering both the EVT™-2 and PPVT™-4 tests and analyzes item performance in multiple ways to enhance intervention.
- PPVT-4 Individual Score Summary Report: Samantha
- PPVT-4 Individual Score Summary Report: Noah
- PPVT-4 Individual Progress Report: Noah
- PPVT-4/EVT-2 Individual Receptive-Expressive Comparison Report: Noah
- PPVT-4/EVT-2 Individual Receptive-Expressive Comparison Report: Samantha
Q-global™ Web-based Administration, Scoring, and Reporting – Enables you to quickly assess and efficiently organize examinee information, generate scores, and produce accurate comprehensive reports all via the Web.
Manual Scoring – Allows you to administer and score assessments by hand
PPVT-4 Technical Report (12 page product summary highlighting tables from the manual and explanations)
PPVT-4 Technical Specifications (8 page publication summary)
PPVT-4 (Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test, Fourth Edition) Introduction
Learn about this measure of receptive vocabulary for Standard American English by viewing this short presentation.
Using Digital Assessments to Evaluate Speech and Language Skills
Presenter: James Henke and Jarett Lehner
Many of today’s students are “digital natives” who are attentive and engaged with presented with digital input. Digital assessments can provide streamlined test administration that is engaging for examinees, while automated scoring and reporting improves examiner efficiency and provides accurate test scores. This session will introduce clinicians to digital assessments available, compare assessment formats on Q-interactive and Q-global and provide an overview of the research supporting the equivalence of test results whether the test is delivered on paper or in a digital format.
Date: Nov 02, 2017
PDF: Using Digital Assessments to Evaluate Speech and Language Skills
Video: Using Digital Assessments to Evaluate Speech and Language Skills
Frequently asked questions follow. Click on a question to see the response.
- What are the pricing options for each digital solution?
- Can I save my report off Q-global?
- Does Q-interactive score and report?
- What if I would like to use PPVT-4 or EVT-2 via telepractice?
- Where can I go for security and compliance information?
- Can I “try before I buy?”
- Do I need to be online (wired or Wi-Fi) for the Q-global Resource Library tools?
- Can I share manuals and stimulus books on Q-global?
- What is the difference between the PPVT-4/EVT-2 ASSIST and scoring and reporting on Q-global?
- Can I prepay for a quantity of Q-global reports, digital stimulus books, or digital manuals with one purchase order (PO)?
- Are progress reports or PPVT-4/EVT-2 comparison reports still available? What is the pricing?
- What do I do if someone in our district or organization leaves and they have Q-global test administration data or digital stimulus books/manuals assigned to them?
- Does the Q-global On-screen Administration and Score Report require me to purchase the Q-global stimulus book?
Benefits of PPVT-4 on Q-interactive
- Better engage your clients with colorful on-screen administration
- Ensure accurate administration with automated start points, discontinue rules, and scoring